Geo-fencing is a new technology that Philippines advertisers should learn to leverage for their campaigns. What exactly is Geo-fencing? Why does it matter for businesses and brands?
It is a feature for marketing platforms that allows advertisers to specify where ads should be displayed. Using GPS, an ad platform can determine the location of a device (smartphone/tablet). If the device falls within the parameter of the geo-fence, it will trigger the advertisement display. Geo-fencing is another form of location-based marketing.
AdMov is an example of an ad-platform that supports geo-fencing. You can specify areas within the map on where your ads should run. If an Uber or Grab vehicles pass through those location, the tablets will display the ads to the passengers.
What are the Benefits of Geo-Fencing in the Philippines?
* Reach People Near-by – geo-fencing allows you to reach people near a certain area. Let’s say you are running a campaign for a newly opened store. You can pin the map and specify the radius of your geo-fence. Any passenger within that area gets alerted about the newly launched store. This technique help raise awareness to these affluent riders. This helps expedite your entry to the market.
* Advertise Within Your Competitor’s Locations– geo-fencing can be used to display ads near the location of your competition. Let’s say you are running a campaign for a BPO company. You can target their recruitment centers to display your ads inside the vehicles. Your ads will be able to persuade potential candidates to apply to your company instead. You can offer more alluring rewards to convince them to switch to your BPO instead. This gives you an edge against competition.
* Target People Based on Their Life Situations– segmenting on social media advertising can be very tricky. It is extremely hard to determine the present needs of people. Sure, you can target the age, demographics and what the pages they like. However, these are not enough to identify people who are in situations that need your product.
With geo-fencing you can reduce the guess-work and target the right group of people based on their circumstances in life. If your company is a diagnostic clinic, you can target major hospitals to display your laboratory offerings. The patients within these hospitals will most likely become your customers.
These are the ones who got sick and will have alot of laboratory works after operations. These are the people who would like to cut medical costs through your service.
* Target Hard to Reach Communities– there are places wherein it is forbidden to hand out flyers or setting up out of home advertising within their vicinities. You can use geo-fence driven ads to by-pass these restrictions.
Let’s take BGC for example, only a handful of brands can advertise inside this district. Using AdMov, you can target all Uber/Grab cars passing within BGC to display your ads. Despite the restriction, you can reach out to the affluent office workers and residents of that area.
* Boost Up Foot Traffic for Slow Moving Branches– a pain in the food industry is how to boost up sales for their certain branches. You can leverage geo-location to encourage people within an area to avail your promos.
Geo-fencing is an exciting dimension for brands and advertisers. The samples mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg. If you can think of a better way on how to leverage geo-fencing hit us a comment below.
Author: Bobby Ben Davis Cristuta
Bobby is the CMO and Co-founder for Admov Philippines. He is a serial technopreneur. He is passionate in delivering emerging marketing channels and bring Manila as destination for innovative advertising technologies.